IN NY STATE NOTARY PUBLIC CANNOT PERFORM COPY CERTIFICATIONS OF ANY DOCUMENT - NEITHER PUBLICLY RECORDED NOR PRIVATE.
If you need a certified copy of any of publicly recorded documents like:
- Birth, marriage, and death certificates;
- Certificates of citizenship or naturalization;
- Documents filed in a court proceeding;
- any form of ID (passport, driver license);
- Documents recorded by the Clerk of the Court;
- Public records maintained in government offices;
- Student records (transcripts, etc.) kept in public education offices;
- Already filed federal or state income tax forms;
- you may only obtain it from the custodian of records.
In case of NYC vital records such as birth certificates, marriage certificates or death certificates- certified copies would have to be obtained from the NYC Health Department (birth and death records) or the NYC Marriage Bureau (marriage records).